Thursday, January 5, 2012

I Can't

Forewarning...sound off approaching. Sorry, but this is going to be one of those blogs where I rant a little. See, I get this all of the time, so I'm just going to vent.. It's the "I Can't" syndrome. But, it's not from my kids...they know better than to use this on us at home! I get it from other moms. A million reasons why they want to homeschool, why they'd LOVE to homeschool, why they'd be the best homeschoolers ever....but they can't. Now, don't confuse this with girlfriends who are praying about homeschooling and who have a heart to homeschool, but for one reason or another, the Lord has said, 'wait'. This happens. Nor am I thinking of those who plain tell you, "I love that you do it, but it's not for me!". I just love their honesty! No, I'm talking about the excuses. They can't because their kid is too stubborn. They can't because their kid is too active. They can't because their kid is....too much like them (Yes, I get this one a lot!). See, the reason this drives me bonkers, is because it feels an awful lot like, 'You don't understand, because you have it easy. Mine are 'challenging', so I'm exempt from putting forth the extra effort...". No?? Am I being too sensitive?? Maybe so, but it still drives me nuts.

See, it's just really hard for me to swallow the "I can't", when I see soooo many inspiring mommas who can...and DO. They're everywhere. The families with more kids than names in the baby name book...the families with kids who have physical, emotional, mental, and/or learning disabilities....the families with kids who would just drive me nuts if I had to listen to their little voices all day. But, we ALL have at least one, if not several, children who bring something uniquely challenging, exhausting, and exasperating to our homeschooling lives. They make us laugh, they make us cry...they make us pull all of our hair out and beg for a drop off at the nearest  insane asylum. But we still wake up the next morning and do it all over again. Because it's worth it.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't have complete sympathy when I hear other sweet moms vent about their parenting struggles. I get it. We ALL get it! And I know that some people keep, or put, their kids in school because that's what's working best for THEIR family. Absolutely! By all means, let the Lord direct your steps, not the opinions of someone such as myself! I certainly don't want to take that job away from Him... but I also don't want to keep hearing excuses... Because for every "I can't", I look around and see way too many "I can's"...   :)




2 comments:

  1. so true, kati!! i've run in to this a TON too. and yes, it is very frustrating. i've had friends who's kids have begged them to homeschool them and they won't..."can't" and it frustrates me, especially when i know we'd have a blast doing it together!! anyway...i get you on this one.

    ReplyDelete