Thursday, December 8, 2011

Excuse this House


My mother-in law gave me this framed poem when I was pregnant with our oldest, over 10 years ago... must have been providential! I love it. And it still hangs on my wall...  :)

Excuse This House…
Some houses try to hide the fact
That children shelter there;
Ours boasts of it quite openly, the
Signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows,
Little smudges on the doors.
I should apologize I guess for
Toys strewn on the floors.
But I sat down with the children
And we played and laughed and read,
And if the doorbell doesn’t shine
Their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I’m forced to choose,
The one job or the other,
I want to be a housewife, but first
I’ll be a mother.

~Audrey Jeanne Roberts

2 comments:

  1. Do you think these words of wisdom will fit on Clint's coffee mug instead of a picture of the kids?

    ReplyDelete